Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuesday by David Wiesner (1992 Caldecott Medal Winner)

Author / Illustrator :  David Wiesner
Publisher  :  Clarion Books
ISBN  :  0395870828
              (Buy / Borrow)

     As previously mentioned, I am an avid proponent of reading and exposure to literature in all shapes and sizes.  As of late, however, I must admit that my own exposure to picture books and illustrated material in general (other than advertisements), has been somewhat lacking.  I'm glad, now that I'm involved in a class covering children's literature, that I am reconnecting with the types of books I very much adored during my early childhood.
     During my visit to the Port Richmond branch of the New York Public Library yesterday, I searched for as many Newbery and Caldecott award winning books as I could find on the shelves.  I was fortunate to find that not only were many of them currently on the premises, but also that there were several copies.  After making a few selections I decided to write my post about David Wiesner's book Tuesday, because, after all, I was checking it out on a Tuesday, and couldn't wait to see what was in store for the rest of my day!
     I settled in at home at about 6:15 PM, opened to the first page and read "Tuesday Evening. Around Eight".  Those were the only words on that page.  In fact, that page had the only real words used in the entire book.  The only other text denoted the progress of time as the story unfolded.  At first, I was a little put off by this fact.  How, after all, would I be able to comment on a book that had essentially no words?
     I read through it a few more times, each time reminding myself that the Caldecott Medal is for distinguished illustration and I was surprised at how much detail I had overlooked during my previous examinations of the artwork.  As the old adage goes "A picture is worth a thousand words", and in the case of Tuesday, probably a whole lot more.
     There is a wonderfully detailed story contained within this sequence of images and I think that this book would be great to "read" in a group or classroom setting containing children of all different reading levels.  True, they wouldn't actually be reading words on a page, but everyone would be able to infer many of the same elements of the story and share in the experience.
     I feel that this shared experience (hopefully an enthusiastic one), would provide a common ground on which all students could meet and possibly discuss their thoughts.  The effect of this collaborative experience can and more than likely will stimulate and reinforce the efforts of the children to further develop their reading skills.  I think it's important that children have as many positive experiences with reading as they can early on.  That way, they won't feel that reading is a chore or something that they have to do for school, but rather something that they would like to do for fun.  If they are enjoying themselves, they'll be more likely to continue reading, and if they continue reading, there will be virtually no limit to what they will be able to learn.
     I strongly recommend that anyone looking for a superbly illustrated picture book from which a vivid and imaginative storyline can be derived, should find a copy of Tuesday at their local bookstore.  It will undoubtedly be a great addition to any collection.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed Tuesday, I think its a great book and agree that sharing it in a group setting allows students to share their thoughts and perpceptions on the unwritten story of most of the book.
    I too was pleasantly surprised by the abundance of Caldecott winners that are so readily available in libraries and bookstores. In fact, many of the most famous picture books that I can recall are Caldecott winners, I just hadn't notice before. I think that picture books can tell stories through images (sometimes accompanied by words) that adults can take something away from, just as children can. This is something that you seem to have picked up on as well while exploring the Caldecott winners.
    I think you successfully incorporated explaining what a Caldecott winner is for someone that may read your blog and is unfamiliar with the honor, and you did so without boring the blog reader. I think this entry is very well rounded.
    I enjoyed the storytelling style of your blog, and felt as though I was reading along with you on this past Tuesday evening. Your style is engaging; both of your posts have grabbed (and kept) my attention and show genuine enthusiasm for exploring children's literature. Glad to be along for this part of the ride!

    Question: Would love to hear your thoughts on the story you "read" in the images and if anything in particular stood out in the book to you. What would you share if you were reading this book in a group (as you suggested the book could be read)?

    ReplyDelete